Author Catherine Bell hosts an inspiring evening during REAP’s Down to Earth Week
Catherine Bell is the co-founder of BluEra – a business consultancy and one of Calgary’s fastest-growing companies in 2015 – and the bestselling author of The Awakened Company. For Down to Earth Week, Catherine will be presenting what this movement means.
An “awakened company” is one that challenges the status quo, that seeks to benefit its employees, community, and the planet – not just see them as resources.
“It’s not okay that a majority of people at work are disengaged, or that most people would rate doing chores above spending time with their bosses,” Catherine says.
In her book, Catherine and her co-authors Russ Hudson and Christopher Papadopoulos use real-life examples of awakened companies around the world to provide solutions to companies that want to reinvent themselves as such. The solutions are based on three pillars of thought: business research, wisdom traditions, and practical knowledge.
With the shifting political climate in Alberta, Catherine wants to provide a way of being that will “activate individual relationships and companies in a new way, and help them to sustain times like this.”
“It is going to take a community rising, and uplifting everyone to arrive at a new way of working together,” says Catherine. “I truly believe that the world’s greatest challenges will be solved by people working better together.”
Catherine promises a fun and inspirational evening. She will share her philosophy and the lessons she learned from writing the book and starting her own company from her own pocket, such as the importance of vulnerability and failure.
“I have failed, failed again, and failed better”, she says. “But is it necessarily failure if we learn something significant?”
The event will also incorporate Alberta BoostR Stage pitches – ATB Financial’s crowdfunding platform, which is like Kickstarter for social business. Five local social entrepreneurs will be pitching their business plans to the audience and a panel of judges (of which Catherine Bell is one) for a chance to receive a $1,000 boost from ATB Financial.
“Now is the opportunity for us in Alberta to build something new, and we can do it together.”
- Register now for the Awakened Company event on April 15, 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at Civic on Third. You’ll get a copy of Catherine’s book as well as dinner, networking, and all the inspiration you can handle with your ticket.
- Unable to make it to the event? Purchase The Awakened Company from any of these retailers.
- Check out Catherine’s blogs on Awakened Company and BluEra.
- Follow Catherine and The Awakened Company on social media: Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- Win two tickets to an intimate evening with singer Sarah McLachlan for Project Warmth, courtesy of Awakened Company. Post to Awakened Company’s Twitter or Facebook pages and tag someone from your workplace who brings joy to your day to be entered to win!
- Curious about the other events we’re hosting during Down to Earth Week 2016? Click here for details of our local fashion and impact investing events on April 12 & 13.