Going local is hip and in. It’s not a fad or short-term trend though. Are you curious as to why and how to get started?
Many of you already know that local businesses…
- are here to see the environmental, social, and economic impacts of their decisions
- keep dollars in the local economy by spending on average 25% more locally than chain stores
- create more jobs locally (they might hire a local account, local marketing company, local farmers, etc.)
- donate about twice as much per employee to charitable organizations than chain stores
- are unique and add character to our community
Now, how does one go local in Calgary? Buying local can apply to food, finance, fun and just about anything else. If you are looking for an easy place to start, here are some tips.
- Start in your neighbourhood. Cruise around on the sidewalk level – perhaps on foot or bike. Find out what the local shops are in your neighbourhood. You might be surprised.
- You can also check out any of the following resources for a list of fabulous locally-owned businesses.
Happy local shopping community builders!
Institute for Local Self Reliance http://www.ilsr.org/why-support-locally-owned-businesses/