Written by Thrive
Calgary Economic Development is working to make Calgary the undisputed choice for people and business.
As Calgary’s lead economic development agency, we work with businesses to facilitate growth, expedite local, national and international business investment and trade development opportunities to promote sustainable economic growth in the Calgary region.
Calgary is western Canada’s business centre and has more head offices per capita than any other Canadian city. Its key economic drivers are Financial Services, Energy, Transportation & Logistics, Information and Communication Technology, Manufacturing, Film and Creative Industries.
Calgary Economic Development acts as a connector, bringing businesses, organizations, government and community together in projects and initatives that benefit Calgary’s long-term economic well-being. Our goal is to assist businesses and the community at large to achieve greater results that will not only benefit their organizations but our city and region as a whole.
We do this by assisting businesses in the following areas:
Business retention and expansion
- Facilitate corporate site selection and real estate and development solutions
- Provide customized solutions for expanding businesses
- Facilitate film scouting, production and permitting services
Business investment and attraction
- Position Calgary as an ideal location to do business
- Assist companies in the development of a business case to invest in Calgary
- Provide orientation services for incoming companies
- Accelerate business results through introductions and business linkages
- Support businesses with export development resources
- Provide programming and resources to assist companies in doing business globally
- Provide in-region contacts
- Assist clients in accessing markets through incoming and outgoing trade missions
- Support Calgary businesses with best practices in workforce retention and attraction
- Assist businesses with making connections to meet workforce needs
- Provide relevant labour market information for the attraction and retention of talent
Research and information
- Provide regional economic/industry information, access to business directories for sourcing products and services
- Supply bi-annual state of the economy reports and an annual economic outlook
- Undertake sectoral and competitiveness research